Monday 26 November 2012

Brasil IVFoz do Iguaçu - End of the hols, and back to (travel) work




Leaving on the 22nd, the journey to Foz do Iguaçu along Br-277 is long, 650km long, which is the furthest I have ever covered in a day.  Seeing as I average no more than 80km/h without factoring in rests it was always going to be a long day.  To add to this there are over 7 toll stops along the way, which is ridiculous.  All these delays are nothing compared to the accident that closed the road.  There were tailbacks several kms, but being on the bike I could cut through all the stationary traffic and get to the front.  The only other person I saw doing this was a French guy travelling on a pushbike, crazy bastard!  The accident was bad, the worst I have ever seen and involved a cement lorry, another lorry carrying a shipping container and a coach.  The cement truck had completely disintegrated as though it had exploded and there was cement covering the verge, trees, everything really.  I was going to take pictures, but it didn’t feel right so I slowly rode past holding my breath as there was a lot of cement dust in the air.   I later googled the accident and found out 3 people died so am glad I didn’t take pictures.  I’ve posted some from the news agencies below, if only to show how horrific it was.

  
In total it took me 10hrs to get to Foz, its some distance for the bike – to get a picture its the same distance as London to Edinburgh.  I stayed at Iguassu Motorcycle Hostel, a new hostel for motorbike travellers run by Adriano and Rodolfo.  It’s a small relaxed place and as the two guys running it have other jobs, they just leave you the keys to the house and let you get on with it.  The only other guests staying there were Tom and Rachel from England.  They had arrived from Paraguay in a Combi van, which they had bought there.  Was nice to hear a real English accent for once, all good until I realised how messed up mine is now.  Since January 2008 I have only been in England 2 years and that was while I managed the hostel in Oxford, where I hardly met English people.  Tom and Rachel were a great couple to be around, and had some stories of their own to tell of their trips.  They also run a charity in Malawi called Building Malawi http://www.buildingmalawi.com and are always interested to hear from anyone who might want to help them.

Hitting 10,000km en-route
One of the many Tolls, a ridiculous 7 in total
Strange Parana Pine Trees
Adriano, Rodolfo, Rachel and Tom
Toucan eats my boots.  A sentence I never thought I would ever say
 


The final Acai dish of Brasil, best one of my time there







No comments:

Post a Comment